Returning Resident Visa

Returning Residents

A permanent resident (called lawful permanent resident or LPR) or conditional resident (CR) who has remained outside the United States for longer than one year, or beyond the validity period of a Re-entry Permit, will require a new immigrant visa to enter the United States and resume permanent residence.

This service, also known as the SB-1 visa, is for LPRs/CRs who are returning to the United States from a temporary visit abroad that was unavoidably lengthened by reasons beyond the applicant’s control.

You can learn more about Returning Resident Visas on