An official website of the United States government

Victims of Crime
June 2, 2015

Attention American Citizens:

If you have been the victim of a violent crime while visiting or living in Trinidad & Tobago, you may be eligible for financial compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CICB).

Who is Eligible to File a Claim?

  • Victims who have suffered physical and mental injury as a result of a violent crime.
  • A dependent of a deceased relative.
  • The parent/guardian of a dependent of a deceased victim who is an infant.
  • The person with whom a mentally ill dependent resides or a duly authorized medical doctor.

Crimes to which this Act Applies

  • Murder
  • Manslaughter
  • Wounding with intent
  • Inflicting injury with or without a weapon
  • Using a drug with intent to commit an offence
  • Administering poison or other destructive or noxious substance so as to endanger life or inflict grievous bodily harm
  • Administering poison with intent to injure or annoy
  • Offences under the Sexual Offences Act

Restrictions in Filing a Claim

Compensation will not be paid where:

  • The cause of injury or death was due to the fact that the victim failed to comply with the law
  • It was determined that the victim broke the law
  • The victim contributed to his/her own demise
  • The victim failed to cooperate with the police in the investigation
  • The injury was as a result of the operation of a motor vehicle, boat or airplane and was not used deliberately as a weapon to cause harm or bodily injury

The following documents should be attached to the application form to facilitate the processing of the application:

  • Medical certificates
  • Death certificates
  • Identification card of victim / applicant
  • Receipts for funeral and medical expenses
  • Police report

Guidelines and application forms can be obtained and dropped off at any of the following locations:

1)    The Ministry of the Attorney General and Legal Affairs Reception Desk

Ground Floor, Tower C
POS International Waterfront Complex
1 Wrightson Road
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Phone: (868) 627-2374; 2376; 2321

2)    Office of the Senior State Counsel, Legal Department

Calder Hall
Administrative Complex
Calder Hall
Phone: (868) 639-5546, ext. 120

3)    All Legal Aid Offices throughout Trinidad & Tobago

CICB Address:

Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CICB)
Tower C, Level 20
Port of Spain International Waterfront Complex
1 Wrightson Road
Port of Spain

Telephone: 1(868) 627-2321 | 1(868) 627-2376/2374

Fax: 1(868) 627-1761

Hours of Operation: Monday-Thursday, 8:00am to 4:15pm | Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm

For more information visit the Ministry of the Attorney General and Legal Affairs website 

The State Department is committed to assisting U.S. citizens who become victims of crime while abroad.  We help in two ways:

  • Overseas: consular officers, agents, and staff work with crime victims and help them with the local police and medical systems.
  • In the United States: our office of Overseas Citizens Services will stay in touch with family members in the United States, and help provide U.S.-based resources for the victim when possible.

If you are the victim of a crime overseas:

  • Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate:
    • Consular officers are available for emergency assistance 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.
    • Contact information for U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas can be found here or by going to our individual Country Specific Information pages.
    • To contact the Department of State in the U.S. call 1-888-407-4747 (from the U.S. or Canada) or (202) 501-4444 (from overseas).
    • Contact the local police to report the incident and get immediate help.  Request a copy of the police report.

Consular Assistance to U.S. Crime Victims:

When a U.S. citizen is the victim of a crime overseas, he or she may suffer from physical, emotional or financial injuries.  It can be more difficult because the victim may be in unfamiliar surroundings, and may not know the local language or customs.  Consular officers, consular agents, and local employees at overseas posts know local government agencies and resources in the country where they work.

We can help:

  • Replace a stolen passport
  • Contact family, friends, or employers
  • Obtain appropriate medical care
  • Address emergency needs that arise as a result of the crime
  • Explain the local criminal justice process
  • Obtain information about your case
  • Connect you to local and U.S.-based resources to assist victims of crime
  • Obtain information about any local and U.S. victim compensation programs available
  • Provide a list of local lawyers who speak English

We cannot:

  • Investigate crimes
  • Provide legal advice or represent you in court
  • Serve as official interpreters or translators
  • Pay legal, medical, or other fees for you

Resources and Information for Crime Victims upon Return to the United States:

Some U.S. cities and communities offer programs to help residents who are victims of overseas crime, including:

  • Rape crisis counseling programs
  • Shelter and counseling programs for battered women
  • Support groups and bereavement counseling for family members and friends of murder victims
  • Diagnostic and treatment programs for child abuse victims
  • Assistance for victims of drunk driving crashes

All U.S. states provide victim compensation programs, however only some states offer benefits to residents who are victims of violent crime overseas.  Most compensation programs require the victim to file a report at the time of the incident, and to provide a copy with the application.  Programs include financial assistance to pay for:

  • Medical costs, including counseling
  • Funeral or burial expenses
  • Lost income or loss of support
  • Expenses related to the repatriation of remains

Information about each state’s compensation program and how to apply for benefits is available from the National Association of Crime Victim Compensation Boards.

Contact Information for Victim Assistance Programs:

DISCLAIMER:  The U.S. Department of State assumes no responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of the organizations whose names appear below.  This referral does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation of the U.S. Department of State.

Sexual Assault: 

  • RAINN (Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network) – Toll-free 24/7 hotline for sexual assault counseling and referrals: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673).  RAINN also offers a hotline that provides live, secure, anonymous crisis support for victims of sexual violence, their friends, and familiies over RAINN’s website.  The Online Hotline is free of charge and is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week!
  • U.S. Department of Justice Office on Violence Against Women – Information about local sexual assault victim assistance coalitions.
  • International Directory of Domestic Violence Agencies – Global list of abuse hotlines, shelters, refuges, crisis centers and women’s organizations, plus domestic violence information in over 90 languages.
    •  NOTE: The agencies and organizations listed on this international directory have not been vetted by the U.S. Department of State or other federal agency.

Domestic Violence:

Families and Friends of Murder Victims:

Victims and Families of Drunk Driving Crashes:

General Victim Assistance:

Overseas Resources:

  • International Directory of Domestic Violence Agencies – Global list of abuse hotlines, shelters, refuges, crisis centers and women’s organizations, plus domestic violence information in over 90 languages.
    • NOTE: The agencies and organizations listed on this international directory have not been vetted by the U.S. Department of State or other federal agency.