Internal Revenue Service (U.S. Taxes)

U.S. Taxation Information

The IRS does not maintain a permanent presence in Port of Spain Embassy, and Consular staff are unable to answer inquiries regarding preparation and filing U.S. taxes. Therefore, we must direct all inquiries related to taxation to the IRS.

Contact the IRS

  • Information regarding U.S. taxes can be found online at the IRS website.
  • International IRS Office Contacts.
  • Phone the IRS
    • International Taxpayer Information Service: +1-800-829-1040
    • Monday – Friday 6am – 11pm (U.S. Eastern Standard Time).

U.S. income tax returns for a tax year are generally due on April 15. Taxpayers resident overseas are given an automatic two-month extension to file; however any tax due though must be paid by April 15 to avoid being charged penalties and interest. Applicants may request a further extension by completing and submitting Form 4868 to the IRS before the return due date.

Helpful links


By mail:


U.S. citizens and resident aliens living outside the United States can use IRS Free File to prepare and file their federal tax returns electronically. The software completes the proper tax forms, does the math, and allows for free electronic filing through IRS e-file. By filing electronically, taxpayers due refunds and who have U.S. bank accounts can opt for direct deposit and get their refunds in as few as 10 days. Check the software provider’s information to ensure that it can accommodate a foreign address.

The IRS is implementing significant changes to the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) program. The new law means that any ITIN not used on a federal tax return at least once in the last three years will no longer be valid as of January 1, 2017 for use on a tax return unless the taxpayer renews the ITIN.  In addition, all ITINs issued prior to 2013 will begin to expire this year and taxpayers will need to renew them. If taxpayers have an expired ITIN, not renewed before filing a tax return next year, they might face a refund delay and be ineligible for certain tax credits, such as the Child Tax Credit and the American Opportunity Tax Credit, until they renew the ITIN.