Tropical Storm Karen – U.S. Embassy Port of Spain
Location: Caribbean Sea
Event: The National Hurricane Center (NHC) has issued an advisory for Tropical Storm Karen just west of the southern Windward islands, with tropical storm force winds and heavy rainfall to continue to affect the southern Windward islands through tonight. Tropical Storm Karen is forecast to be moving in the direction of Puerto Rico and the U.S. and British Virgin Islands.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor National Hurricane Center and local news for updates on weather developments in the area.
- Review the TT Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management’s (ODPM) Disaster Preparedness Checklist for guidelines.
- Check the Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service for updates at www.metoffice.gov.tt
- Keep a “Go Bag” or emergency kit ready. For information on how to stock your “Go Bag”, visit: https://www.ready.gov/kit
- We urge U.S. citizens who are safe to check in with loved ones directly and/or update their social media status.
Web links to help you monitor the latest weather conditions:
- The National Hurricane Center – monitors tropical storms and current hurricane conditions in the Caribbean.
- The Department of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones page
- Weather Channel – Contains worldwide weather forecasts and information (English and Spanish).
- For more information about how to prepare for hurricanes visit https://www.ready.gov/hurricane-toolkit
U.S. Embassy is located at at 15 Queen’s Park West, Port of Spain and can be reached at 868 622 6371
State Department – Consular Affairs (888)407-4747 or (202)501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.