This replaces the Travel Advisory dated February 22, 2018. Following an annual review, the Travel Advisory remains at Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution and contains updates on the country information page.
Exercise increased caution in Trinidad and Tobago due to crime and terrorism. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Do not travel to Laventille, Beetham, Sea Lots, Cocorite, and the interior of Queen’s Park Savannah in Port of Spain due to crime.
Violent crime, such as murder, robbery, assault, sexual assault, home invasion, and kidnapping, is common.
Gang activity, such as narcotics trafficking, is common. A significant portion of violent crime is gang-related and geographically concentrated.
Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Trinidad and Tobago:
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not display overt signs of wealth, such as expensive watches or jewelry.
- Be extra vigilant when visiting ATMs.
- Avoid all demonstrations and political gatherings.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebookand Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reportfor Trinidad and Tobago.
- S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations.
- Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Port of Spain
Violence and shootings occur regularly in some areas of Port of Spain. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from travelling to the following areas: Laventille, Beetham, Sea Lots, Cocorite, and the interior of Queens’ Park Savannah. After dark, U.S. government personnel are prohibited from travelling to downtown Port of Spain, Fort George overlook, and all beaches.
- U.S. Embassy Port of Spain
15 Queen’s Park West
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobagott
Telephone +(868) 622-6371
Emergency +(868) 622-6371, then press 1.
Fax +(868) 822-5955
- State Department – Consular Affairs
Telephone: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook