Event: The U.S. Embassy in Port of Spain will be closed on Monday, March 4th and Tuesday, 5th during Carnival. The U.S. Embassy will open again on Wednesday, March 6th. During the long holiday weekend, we encourage you to maintain a high level of awareness at all times, especially if you are participating in events involving large crowds. For your awareness, Carnival route maps are available on the National Carnival Commission of Trinidad and Tobago website at http://www.ncctt.org/new/ .
U.S. citizens in Trinidad and Tobago who need emergency services should call the U.S. Embassy at 868 622 6371 for assistance.
We encourage the following precautions and safety reminders.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Avoid walking alone if possible, especially late at night.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
Individuals should avoid proceeding beyond the following boundaries alone:
- East of Charlotte Street between Queen’s Park Savannah and South Quay.
- West of Richmond Street between Independence Square South and Duke Street, however it is safe to proceed west along Park Street onto Ariapita Avenue and Tragarete Road.
- North of Queen’s Park Savannah.
- South of South Quay.
Entry and exit to and from Port-of-Spain should be made via main arteries (roads), i.e.:
- Churchill Roosevelt Highway (do not stop except at stop lights between The Lighthouse at South Quay and Barataria overpass).
- Avoid using Eastern Main Road (especially between South Quay and The Croisse, San Juan). Note it is illegal to use the Priority Bus Route without a pass, and even then it is not safe between the mentioned areas.
- Lady Young Road (if absolutely necessary; avoid unnecessary stops especially at night).
- Tragarete Road onto Western Main Road through St. James.
- Wrightson Road onto Audrey Jeffers Highway.
- Avoid alternative short cuts through Belmont, Laventille, Morvant, East Dry River and Beetham Gardens.
U.S. Embassy Port of Spain
15 Queen’s Park West
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Telephone + (868) 622-6371
Emergency + (868) 622-6371, then press 1
Fax + (868) 822-5955
State Department – Consular Affairs (888) 407-4747 or (202) 501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.