Location: Port of Spain, and throughout Trinidad and Tobago
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Port of Spain will be closed on Monday, February 24th and Tuesday 25th, 2020 during Carnival. Carnival activities and related events have begun and will be ongoing throughout the month accordingly U.S. citizens should expect road closures, increasing traffic congestion, and events involving large crowds. During the long holiday weekend, the U.S. Embassy Port of Spain encourages you to maintain a high level of awareness at all times and advise taking the following safety precautions during the month of February. For your awareness, note Carnival route maps are available on the National Carnival Commission of Trinidad and Tobago website at http://www.nctt.org/new/.
U.S. government personnel are being advised to avoid areas listed below:
- East of Charlotte Street between Queen’s Park Savannah and South Quay.
- West of Richmond Street between Independence Square South and Duke Street.
- North of Queen’s Park Savannah.
- South of South Quay.
Entry and exit to and from Port-of-Spain should be made via main roads, i.e.:
- Churchill Roosevelt Highway when proceeding east (do not stop at any time between the Lighthouse at South Quay and Barataria overpass).
- Tragarete Road onto Western Main Road through St. James.
- Wrightson Road onto Audrey Jeffers Highway.
U.S. citizens are further advised to avoid short cuts through Belmont, Laventille, Morvant, East Dry River Beetham Gardens, Lady Young Road, and Eastern Main Road (especially between South Quay and The Croisee, San Juan).
Actions to take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.
- Monitor local media for updates
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy Port of Spain
15 Queen’s Park West
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Telephone: + (868) 622-6371
Emergencies: + (868) 622-6371, then press 1
Non-emergency inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Trinidad and Tobago Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
1-202-501-4444 l-free from the United States and Canada
1-202-501-4444 from other countries