Happy Holidays from the U.S. Embassy! We would like to remind U.S. citizens in Trinidad and Tobago that the incidence of burglaries, thefts, and robberies tends to increase during the holiday season. Petty thefts have the potential to escalate with little to no warning. Therefore, it is important to be aware of your surroundings at all times, even if you are in an area that has been traditionally considered safe and even in the presence of uniformed security.
Below are some tips to help you reduce your vulnerability to holiday crime:
- Ensure someone is aware of your whereabouts and plans at all times
- Travel only in large groups especially when going on nature hikes and isolated areas
- Lock gates and doors at all times
- If you have an alarm, use it, even when you are at home
- Drive with doors locked and windows up
- Wear minimal jewelry
- Don’t leave valuables in your vehicle – in the seat or in the trunk. Return home to drop off your purchases rather than leave them in the car.
Many of you also have visiting relatives and friends during this season, please share these tips with them to ensure they enjoy a safe and incident-free visit.
For more country guidance specifics, please go to travel.state.gov to view the Travel Advisory for Trinidad and Tobago.
Police: 999 Fire: 990
Ambulance: 990 or 811 Coast Guard: 634-4440
Anti-Crime Hotline: 555 or 800-TIPS Kidnapping Hotline: 623-6793
Children’s Authority: 996 or 800-2014
The American Citizens Services Unit recommends that you to register for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program at https://step.state.gov/step/. Once registered, as a U.S. citizen residing outside of the United States, you can:
- Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
- Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
- Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency
Contact the U.S. embassy or consulate for up-to-date information on travel restrictions. You can also call 1 888 407 4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1 202 501 4444 from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). Follow us on Twitter and Facebook, and download our free Smart Traveler iPhone App to have travel information at your fingertips.
U.S. Embassy Port of Spain
15 Queen’s Park West
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Telephone + (868) 622-6371
Emergency + (868) 622-6371, then press 1.
Fax + (868) 822-5955