An official website of the United States government

Getting Married in Trinidad & Tobago
May 13, 2016


Trinidad & Tobago considers marriage to be the union of a man and woman as husband and wife.  There are four kinds of marriages recognized in Trinidad and Tobago:

  • Civil Marriage
  • Hindu Marriage
  • Muslim Marriage
  • Orisa Marriage

Civil, Muslim and Orisa marriages must be performed by a licensed Marriage Officer.  Marriage Officers are ordained ministers of a recognized religious denomination or organization.  Civil marriage is the most common form of marriage in Trinidad and Tobago and can be performed by a Marriage Officer, Warden or the Registrar General.
All Christian marriages performed in a church are considered civil marriages, provided the presiding minister is a licensed Marriage Officer.

Under Civil Marriage law you must be 18 years of age to marry in Trinidad and Tobago, but exemptions may be granted on religious grounds.  The minimum age for Muslim marriages is age 12, and the minimum age for Hindu marriages is age 16.  For further information, please contact the Registrar General.

How do I arrange a civil marriage?

Couples wanting to get married must first give Notice of Marriage in person at a Civil Registry office.  This includes religious marriages.

Foreign visitors and others subject to Immigration Control must contact the Registrar General at (868) 624-1660 prior to the marriage ceremony for authorization.

Before giving Notice of Marriage you must:

  • Contact the Registrar’s Office to make an appointment to appear in person.
  • Know the venue for your marriage, such as a registrar’s office, church or other location.
What documents do I bring to the Registrar’s Office?

You need to bring the following documents to your appointment:

  • Permission to marry from Immigration Control (for non-Trinbagonian nationals only).
  • Evidence of identity – such as a National ID Card, Driver’s Permit or Passport.
  • Proof of address – such as a utility bill.

At least seven days must have elapsed from the date of giving notice before the marriage can take place.  The notice is valid for one year.

Have you been married before?

If you have been married before, evidence that the marriage has ended will need to be seen (i.e. original decree absolute for divorce or death certificate if your ex-spouse is deceased).

What fees do I need to pay?

The cost for a marriage license is TT$62.50.  You must also pay an additional TT$25.00 to obtain a certified copy of the Marriage Certificate.  (This is subject to change.)

Advice to foreign nationals

When either or both parties to the marriage are not citizens of Trinidad and Tobago, they should contact the Registrar General’s Office before giving Notice of Marriage.

Note:  Getting married in Trinidad and Tobago or to a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago gives no automatic right to remain or reside in the country.

Getting Married – Where do i get more information?

For more information on Civil Marriages, or for information on Muslim, Hindu or Orisa marriages, please contact:

Registrar General’s Office
Registration House
South Quay
Port of Spain
Trinidad, West Indies
Tel. (868) 624-1660

Opening hours: 8:30 am to 3:30 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

Registrar General Division
Central Administrative Services, Tobago (CAST)
Jerningham Street
Tobago, West Indies
Tel. (868) 639-2652-7
Fax. (868) 639-2505
E-mail: cast1@tstt.net.tt
Opening hours: 8:30 am to 3:30 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

Restoration of Trinidad & Tobago Citizenship / Dual Citizenship

Questions regarding applying for Trinidad and Tobago citizenship should be directed to these offices within the Government of Trinidad and Tobago:

Immigration Division
31-33 Abercromby Street, Ground Floor
Port of Spain


Immigration Office – Tobago
Agricola Building
Wilson Road