The U.S. Government funds several professional and academic exchange programs in which Trinidad and Tobago nationals can participate.
International Visitor Leadership Program
The International Visitor Leadership Program is the U.S. Department of State’s premier professional exchange program. Through short-term visits to the United States, current and emerging foreign leaders in a variety of fields experience this country firsthand and cultivate lasting relationships with their American counterparts. Professional meetings reflect the participants’ professional interests and support the foreign policy goals of the United States.
Youth Ambassadors Program
The Youth Ambassadors Program with the Caribbean is a 3-week leadership exchange in the United States for teenagers 15-18 and adult mentors from the Caribbean. The program provides full scholarships for participants to take part in cultural-educational programming focused on civic engagement and social entrepreneurship
Sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, U.S. Department of State, the program aims to develop a cadre of young adults throughout the Americas who have a strong sense of civic responsibility, a commitment to their communities, an awareness of current and global issues, and strong interpersonal leadership skills. The program aims to promote mutual understanding, respect, and collaboration between people in the United States and other countries of the Western Hemisphere. Participants will gain: enhanced language skills, new career & academic aspirations, global perspectives, leadership development.
All teen applicants must:
- Be a citizen and resident of Trinidad and Tobago (Dual US/TT citizens are not eligible)
- Be between the ages of 15-18 during the US exchange in August 2019
- Have at least one semester of high school left after September 2019
- Demonstrate leadership potential and community involvement
- Have no previous travel to the U.S. and limited international travel
- Have permission from both parents/legal guardians to participate
All adult mentor applicants must:
- Be a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago (Dual US/TT citizens are not eligible)
- Actively work with youth in either a high school or community setting
- Be willing and able to meet periodically with selected students from Trinidad and Tobago during the 2019/2020 academic year to support and monitor their follow-on work
The 2019 Program
The exchange will take place August 8, 2019 – August 26, 2019.
Apply now at https://youthambassadors.worldlearning.org/YA. The application deadline is April 15, 2019.
Email questions to email@example.com.
National Youth Science Camp
The National Youth Science Camp is a residential science education program that brings together graduating high school science students from the United States of America and participating countries worldwide.