Greetings from the U.S. Embassy Port of Spain,
If you felt the earthquake in Trinidad and Tobago on December 6th, did you follow earthquake safety protocols? U.S. Embassy Port of Spain reminds all U.S. citizens about earthquake safety and proper actions for protecting yourself.
What to do during an earthquake:
- Protect yourself in the safest place possible without having to move far – no matter your limitations, you need to protect yourself as fast as possible.
- Do NOT attempt to exit the building during an earthquake! Most people are injured by other people or falling debris as they try to exit buildings during the shaking.
- Drop under a piece of furniture or against an inside wall. Take cover under a desk or table if possible, and protect your head and neck with one arm/hand. Hold on to a desk or furniture leg to keep it from shifting or uncovering you until the shaking completely stops.
- Learn more at www.DropCoverHoldOn.org.
The American Citizens Services Unit recommends that you register for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program athttps://step.state.gov/step/. Once registered, as a U.S. citizen residing outside of the United States, you can:
- Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
- Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.
- Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
Regularly monitor the State Department’s Website, where you will find the most current Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Worldwide Caution. Read the Country Specific Information for Trinidad and Tobago. For additional information, refer to “A Safe Trip Abroad” on www.travel.state.gov.
Contact the U.S. embassy or consulate for up-to-date information on travel restrictions. You can also call 1 888 407 4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1 202 501 4444 from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). Follow us on Twitter and Facebook, and download our free Smart Traveler iPhone App to have travel information at your fingertips.
The U.S. Embassy in Port of Spain is located at 15 Queen’s Park West, Port of Spain. Routine services are by appointment only. To schedule your appointment, please visit tt.usembassy.gov, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 868 622 6371. U.S. citizens in Trinidad and Tobago who need emergency services should call the Embassy at 868 622 6371 for assistance.