Event: The annual Carnival celebration will take place between Friday, February 17 and Tuesday, February 21.
U.S. Embassy Port of Spain reminds U.S. citizens that no one is immune from crime, which can and has occurred in all neighborhoods and at all times of the day. Due to large crowds, there is an increased risk of pickpocketing, theft, and assaults. Be aware of your surroundings at all times, regardless of your location and whether there is security.
Actions to take:
• Have a plan. In the event of a terrorist or criminal event, know what action you might take which could involve moving to a safe area away from the incident or, if not possible, seeking immediate shelter.
• If you are being harassed by an individual or another car, try to find the nearest police station, hotel, or other public facility and call the police (999).
• Keep a low profile.
• Be aware of your environment: Stay in well-lit and populated areas and use caution when walking alone, especially late at night.
• Do not wear/display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches, and avoid carrying large amounts of cash on the street.
• Carry proper of identification when attending events and leave at least one form of identification at home in case it is lost or stolen.
• Do not accept rides from strangers.
• Avoid crowds and protests.
• If you are bringing children to an event, give them a card with their name, a contact phone number, and the address of a responsible person in case they should become separated from you.
• If traveling with a group, select a meeting place in case of separation.
• Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.
• To avoid vehicle break-ins, park in a safe, well-lit area, lock your vehicle, and do not leave valuables inside your car.
• If you are a victim of a crime attempt, do not resist. Remain as calm as possible, do not make sudden movements, and give the perpetrator what he/she wants as quickly as possible. Do not attempt to follow the criminals after an incident. Immediately remove yourself from the area and contact local authorities. The U.S. Embassy will not be able to accept visitors so please proceed to a safe location and call the police (999). Please do not come to the U.S. Embassy unless told do so by an Embassy official.
• Monitor local media for updates.
• Review your personal security plans.
• In the event of a crisis or large-scale incident, phone service may become unavailable. Keep in touch with your friends and family, including through use of social media updates.
• Be mindful that household robberies tend to increase due to the number of unoccupied homes.
• Maintain situational awareness as sexual harassment, assaults, and related crimes tend to increase due to higher alcohol consumption.
• Beverages may be drugged or spiked.
• Do not accept drinks from strangers.
• Use ATMs in well-lit, public areas as robberies can occur when customers depart the ATM.
• Use extra caution when driving as the number of intoxicated drivers tends to increase.
• If using a private vehicle, use a designated driver.
• The combination of heat, physical activity, and alcohol can cause rapid over-dehydration. Drink plenty of water.
• Wear sunscreen.
|POLICE: 999||POLICE: 999|
|FIRE: 990||FIRE: 990|
|AMBULANCE: 811||AMBULANCE: 811|
|REPORTING A CRIME: 555 / 800-8877||EMERGENCY 911|
|VICTIM AND WITNESS SUPPORT 612-2577/612-2465||VICTIM AND WITNESS SUPPORT 612-0337 EXT 14059-14062|
|TRINIDAD COAST GUARD: 868-634-4440||TOBAGO COAST GUARD: 639-1461|
|CHILDREN’S AUTHORITY OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (REPORT CHILD ABUSE): 996 OR 800-2014||CHILDREN’S AUTHORITY OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (REPORT CHILD ABUSE): 996 OR 800-2014|
|NATIONAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE HOTLINE: 800-SAVE (7283)||NATIONAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE HOTLINE: 800-SAVE (7283)|
|KIDNAPPING HOTLINE: 868-623-6793|
U.S. Embassy Port of Spain
15 Queen’s Park West
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Emergencies: + (868) 622-6371, then press 1
Visit our website for information
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
More information about International Travel
Follow us on our social media pages: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs at:
1-202-501-4444 l-free from the United States and Canada
1-202-501-4444 from other countries