Doing Business with the U.S. from Trinidad and Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago and the United States enjoy a strong economic relationship, and a key component of this is Trinidad and Tobago corporate and individual investment in the United States. In 2011, total stock of Trinidad and Tobago Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the United States was US$5.95 billion. Top sectors for Trinidad and Tobago’s U.S. investments include manufacturing as well as the wholesale trade industry. Keeping that relationship active, relevant and growing requires initiative and up-to-date information.
The “SelectUSA” program aims to make it easier for Trinidad and Tobago citizens to invest in the United States. The program works with more than 20 federal agencies and bureaus to increase coordination and provide guidance and information to respond to specific and broad-reaching issues that affect business investment decisions. Through its ombudsman services, SelectUSA collaborates with IIWG agency partners to help address investor questions and concerns relating to a wide range of federal regulatory issues. SelectUSA helps companies of all sizes find the information they need to make decisions; connect to the right people at the local level; and navigate the federal regulatory system.
Useful Resources for U.S. Business Opportunities
What can the U.S. Commercial Service do for You
- Locate U.S. products, services, or business partners that meet your needs.
- Identify the best U.S. companies in your area of interest.
- Help you meet one-on-one with U.S. companies in person or via video conference.
- The U.S. Commercial Services’ International Buyer Program (IBP) is a joint U.S. Government –industry effort to bring international buyers to the United States for business-to-business matchmaking with U.S. firms exhibiting at major industry trade shows. As a member of an official U.S. Commercial Service IBP delegation you can receive access to exclusive benefits including registration assistance at waivered or reduced trade show admission fees.
Rely on our extensive U.S. network of 1,800 trade professionals to work for your business by letting us introduce you to the U.S. companies that best meet your needs.
The “SelectUSA” program highlights the extraordinary investment opportunities in the United States, and it encourages international businesses to locate, invest, and grow in the United States. In particular, the U.S. has unparalleled educational institutions, labor productivity, and intellectual property protection. This last point is important for a country like Trinidad and Tobago. America looks to protect innovation through appropriate Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) enforcement and awareness because it creates jobs and exports, and promotes innovation and safe products. Because of these and other unique qualities, the United States ranks in the top tier of global business climate surveys, including the Venture Capital and Private Equity Index, the FDI Confidence Index, the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business ranking, and the Center for Global Innovation and Entrepreneurship Indicator.
The U.S. Commercial Services’ International Buyer Program
The U.S. Commercial Services’ International Buyer Program (IBP) is a joint U.S. Government – industry effort to bring international buyers to the United States for business-to-business matchmaking with U.S. firms exhibiting at major industry trade shows. As a member of an official U.S. Commercial Service IBP delegation you can receive access to exclusive benefits including registration assistance and waived or reduced admission fees to trade shows.
U.S. Trade Shows
- How to Make the Most of a Buying Trip to a Trade Show in the U.S. : http://2016.export.gov/ibp/eg_main_023158.asp#P32_3049
- Trade Show in Las Vegas: Attend #CES2019 in Las Vegas, Nevada in January 2019. Immerse yourself in innovation and opportunity as technology, entertainment and business intertwine at CES. Create new connections, strategize the growth of your business, see genius technology that’s not only faster and better, but also benefiting global consumers. Contact POScommercial@state.gov for more information.