Ask the U.S. Consul – February 2017

Question: I am expecting family from the U.S. for Carnival, is there any information that they should know before travelling?

First of all we hope you have a safe Carnival. Please note the recent Executive Order “Protecting the Nation from Terrorist Attacks by Foreign Nationals” does not affect U.S. Citizens, TT citizens travelling on TT passports or Lawful Permanent Residents of the U.S. travelling to the U.S.

U.S. Citizens require a valid U.S. passport to travel to and from the United States. It should be valid for at least six months after planned departure from Trinidad and needs to have two or more blank pages. Ask your visitors to review all family members’ passports since the validity for an adult passport is ten years, while those of children are valid for five.

The Embassy recommends that all U.S. travelers sign up for our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at This will ensure that they receive travel and security updates about Trinidad and will help us make contact in an emergency whether natural disaster, civil unrest or family emergency.

Travelers should make two photocopies of their travel documents in case of emergency to include your passport, state ID, or Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) card. Perhaps leave one copy with a trusted relative or in the hotel safe and carry the other copy separately in case of loss or theft. Keep your documents in a safe place. It may be costly to replace a lost passport or LPR card. In the case of loss or theft, photocopies of the documents are helpful when applying for a replacement document.

The U.S. Embassy cannot assist permanent residents or dual citizens in applying for a new Trinidad and Tobago passport. For this service, please contact the Trinidad and Tobago passport office or the Trinidad and Tobago Consulates in the U.S. prior to travel.

It’s advisable that all travelers read up on any destination Learn about visa requirements, local laws, customs, medical care, and other issues in any destination country. Some travelers, such as those with disabilities, women, and LGBTI persons, may face additional challenges when abroad.
Travelers should ensure that they have health insurance when traveling abroad. If their U.S. health care plan does not provide coverage overseas, they may want to consider buying supplemental insurance to cover medical costs and emergency evacuation. Some facilities and doctors require payment in cash before services are provided, and emergency medical evacuation can be costly. Medicare does not provide coverage outside of the United States.

For further information on routine and emergency services provided by the Consular section, direct your family to Follow us on Twitter and Facebook, and download our free Smart Traveler iPhone App to have travel information at your fingertips.