Ask the Consul – July 2019

Dear U.S. Consul,

My sister is an adult with special needs who will be applying for a visa.  Does the Embassy have any special accommodations available? My mother (her caregiver) plans to come with her to the interview, she has a green card that she would like to return in exchange for a visitor’s visa. Can you tell me how she can do this?


The U.S. Embassy Port of Spain makes special accommodations for people with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) or any other sensory processing disorder by reserving one afternoon a month for their appointments.

“Quiet Mondays” are Monday afternoon appointments hosted by the Consular Section with special attention to minimizing distractions and offering personalized service to applicants with sensory processing difficulties. In consultation with local experts, we implemented best practices for interaction with ASD applicants. Accommodations include reduced noise, dimmed lighting, and shorter wait times. These simple changes help special needs applicants feel more comfortable.

To request a “Quiet Monday” visa appointment, the parent, guardian, or caregiver of a special needs applicant of 14 to 79 years should follow the regular online application steps for a Non-Immigrant Visa found on our website.  After securing an appointment online, request a “Quiet Monday” appointment by sending a brief note to

We also accommodate U.S. citizen special needs applicants for routine services. To request a special appointment, the parent, guardian, or caregiver of a U.S. citizen special needs applicant can contact American Citizen Services by emailing

In general, people are required to seek advance permission to enter the Consular waiting room if they do not have appointments themselves but wish to accompany an applicant. This applies to relatives, caregivers, or group leaders. To submit a request, email at least two working days before the confirmed appointment.


All services at the Consular Section are done on an appointment basis. Do not come to the Embassy without an appointment. See our website for complete information on appointments.

If you want to give up your Lawful Permanent Resident status and your green card, you must do so by mail or in person in the United States.  You may no longer give up your green card at an Embassy.  Information is available at

After you have done so, you may apply for a visitor’s visa such as a B1/B2 Business and Pleasure visa by following the regular Non-Immigrant Visa application process at

More information on the services available at the Embassy is located on our website: