An official website of the United States government

Ask the Consul — January 2024
January 16, 2024

Photo of an eagle's head in front of the U.S. flag with the words "Ask the US Consul".


Question: I am a performer and I have received offers to perform in the United States after Carnival.  I already have a ten-year tourist visa; can I use this to perform in the United States?

Answer: No, the B1/B2 ‘tourist’ visa does not allow the traveler to work while in the United States.

If you want to work or perform in the U.S. temporarily, you will need a specific visa based on the type of work you will be doing.

It is essential that you have the appropriate visa for the activities that you will engage in while in the United States. Misuse of a visa will affect your future eligibility for a non-immigrant visa and may lead to the revocation of existing visas.

Performers—including athletes, actors, and musicians—who intend to perform in the U.S. almost always need to apply for a ‘P’ or ‘O’ visa. Even if you are not being paid for a performance, you may still be required to travel on a performer visa. The process of applying for a performer visa is more complex than for a tourist visa and requires coordination with a sponsor in the United States.

To obtain a temporary worker visa, your sponsor in the United States must first file a Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker. This petition must be filed with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and supporting documentation may be necessary at the time of submission.

Once the petition is approved, you will receive an approval notice; only after this notice is received can you proceed to apply for the relevant non-immigrant visa at the embassy.

The visa application process includes completing the DS-160 application form, registering on the information and appointment website, paying the application fee at Scotiabank, and scheduling and attending the visa interview.

Even if USCIS has approved your visa petition, the consular officer will make the final determination as to your eligibility for the visa.

The U.S. embassy is committed to facilitating legitimate travel to the U.S. to promote Trinidad and Tobago’s vibrant and diverse culture.

If you have questions about visa categories and the types of activities you can perform on each category of visa, visit travel.state.gov.

For more information on the nonimmigrant visa application process, please visit our website at https://ais.usvisa-info.com/ .