An official website of the United States government

Ask the Consul — February, 2024
February 5, 2024

Photo of an eagle's head in front of the U.S. flag with the words "Ask the US Consul".


Question: I have U.S. citizen relatives visiting for Carnival.  Should they advise the Embassy of their presence here for this short trip?

Answer: The U.S. Embassy encourages all U.S. citizens traveling or residing abroad to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).  STEP is a free service that allows enrollees to receive automatic updates about the foreign country where they are visiting or residing, including emergency and security messages.

More importantly, this program helps the U.S. Embassy contact registrants in the event of an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, criminal activity, or family emergency.  To sign up, visit: https://step.state.gov.

The U.S. Embassy in Port of Spain offers a range of services to U.S. citizens visiting and living in Trinidad and Tobago, including routine and emergency passport services, reports of birth and death of U.S. citizens abroad, and notary services.

Routine services are by appointment only.  To schedule an appointment, please visit our website at tt.usembassy.gov.  Adult passport renewal applications can be mailed in via TTPost.

Remind your family members to check the validity of their passports prior to the trip.  Not only is a valid passport invaluable for unexpected and immediate travel, but it is a globally accepted document establishing both identity and citizenship.  Visit the U.S. Department of State’s website at https://travel.state.gov for information on how to apply for a U.S. passport, documents required for travel, and specific information about overseas destinations.

Frequently, people born in Trinidad and Tobago who have naturalized as U.S. citizens travel to Trinidad and Tobago with their old Trinidad and Tobago passports, and encounter difficulty upon attempting re-entry into the United States.

Advise your relatives that U.S. law requires all U.S. citizens to enter the United States using their valid U.S. passport.  A T&T passport with a U.S. Naturalization Certificate will not be accepted for entry into the United States.

The U.S. Embassy will be closed to the public on Carnival Monday, February 12 and Carnival Tuesday, February 13, 2024.

U.S. Citizens who require emergency assistance can email acspos@state.gov or call +1-868-622-6371.  The Embassy is located at 15 Queen’s Park West, Port of Spain.  Report a lost or stolen passport immediately.

We recommend that visitors exercise caution while enjoying Carnival and avoid displays of cash and jewelry.  Always arrange transport in advance from trusted family and friends, and always maintain awareness of your surroundings.

Ensure that your relatives keep you informed of their activities and location.  Remind them to exercise caution when withdrawing funds from banking institutions including ATMs.

Follow us on Instagram @USinTT, X (formerly known as Twitter) @USinTT, and Facebook @ttusa. Download our free Smart Traveler smartphone App by the U.S. Department of State to get travel information at your fingertips.